Best glue / epoxy for rockets

What do you make your rockets out of? Share your ideas or questions about tubes, fins, epoxies, or any other materials related to rocketry.
Danh

Best glue / epoxy for rockets

Postby Danh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:15 am

I have been using aeropoxy es6209 for all my epoxying of fiberglass and phenolic . And titebond 2 for paper and wood rockets . Is there any thing better than those ?

patelldp

Re: Best glue / epoxy for rockets

Postby patelldp » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:29 am

My personal epoxies of choice:

General bonding, low strength applications: Great Planes 30-minute Pro Epoxy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BH ... ge_o01_s02

General bonding, low strength applications: BSI Epoxy: http://shop.macperformancerocketry.com/collections/bsi-epoxy

Laminating Epoxy: Aeropoxy PR2032 Resin + PH3660 Hardener: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/aeropoxy.php

Laminating Epoxy: US Composites 635 Thin Epoxy + 3:1 Ratio Medium Hardener: http://uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Filleting/Structural Epoxy: RocketPoxy G5000: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Adhesives/G5000_RocketPoxy_Pint_Package?zenid=69bc037874dea3cb7c24552cff4e3187

Filleting/Structural Epoxy: Proline 4500: http://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=310
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3

mdutch

Postby mdutch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:39 am

OH NO!!!! A GLUE THREAD :mrgreen: ;) :) :) :)
Mike Dutch
URRG & MRSI Founder
TAP L3CC
"I just want to fly ROCKETS"

luke strawwalker

Postby luke strawwalker » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:25 am

Here's what I've learned over the years...

Epoxy-- pretty much anything but five minute types... the shorter the cure time, the weaker the epoxy... ALWAYS USE NITRILE GLOVES to avoid sensitization...

Wood glue-- best for wood/wood or wood/tube joints... shrinks considerably as it dries, can "freeze" paper/paper joints/parts, especially tight-fitting, small-clearance joints like tube couplers. Best used with double-glue joints, which will be stronger than the materials being joined. Prefer Titebond II myself, though Elmer's Carpenter's Wood glue is probably 95% as good... Titebond Moulding and Trim Wood glue is THE BEST material for making fillets that I've ever found... "no run, no drip" thickened formula allows ALL fillets to be applied at once, can be smoothed with a damp fingertip to final desired appearance, eliminating need to sand fillets afterwards, dries clear, can be built up in multiple applications to any desired contour/thickness.

White glue-- best for paper/paper joints (papering fins, etc.) Can be used for gluing in motor mounts or couplers, but care has to be taken to prevent "freezing" midway through the joining-- (from excessively tight-fitting parts and using insufficient glue, allowing the moisture to be "wicked away" and instantly locking up the parts halfway through assembly... use excess glue and sand parts lightly to ensure a "looser fit" when assembling to prevent freezing, or use epoxy...) Does not shrink as much as yellow glue, preventing "coke bottle" effect on tubes when gluing in centering rings/motor mounts.

CA-- use only to harden balsa parts and tube ends. Gets brittle over time, weak in shear, seals off balsa pores, preventing good penetration and bond strength by wood/white glue which can provide a stronger joint on those materials (wood, paper) than CA can anyway... IMHO should NOT be used in construction of rockets... fine for gluing on details or non-structural type components (not launch lugs) and field emergency repairs, but otherwise, not a good construction adhesive whatsoever...

Urethane "gorilla" type glues-- excellent for securing bb's, lead shot, or other weights in nosecones... pour in and add a drop of water to cure. Will foam up and enlarge, very solid once fully cured, difficult to clean up or remove excess glue. Limited utility for construction IMHO due to these factors. Cures from absorbing moisture. Heard folks having good results gluing plastic detail wraps to paper body tubes using VERY VERY THIN applications of urethane glue (to prevent foam-up and blowing out of glue/warping the wrap).

That's about it... :) OL JR :)
The X-15 Cruise Basselope- THE ultimate weapon in homeland defense and only $52 million per round!!

Construct_VA

Postby Construct_VA » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:45 am

Gorilla makes a brand of wood glue that I have used a few times without issue. I would compare it to the Titebond II. Do you have a particular brand of Epoxy that you prefer, or are they all about the same (except 5 min)?

luke strawwalker

Postby luke strawwalker » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Haven't used the Gorilla wood glue but have heard it's broadly analogous to TB2 and/or Elmers WG...

As for epoxy, I don't use very much, and use basically any brand... the main thing is the cure time from my experience, rather than the brand... the longer the cure time, the stronger the epoxy...

Later! OL JR :)
The X-15 Cruise Basselope- THE ultimate weapon in homeland defense and only $52 million per round!!

Bob Jablonski

Postby Bob Jablonski » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:34 am

Rocketpoxy is great on fiberglass and carbon fiber rockets. I have a operative seeing how good it works with Quantum tubes. Regular 20 min epoxy on Quantum tube you have to scuff the bajebers out of it to stick.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Return to “Materials”