Flying a Pressure Transducer!

"Experimental" rocket motors are an exciting way to delve deeper into the hobby.
patelldp

Flying a Pressure Transducer!

Postby patelldp » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:34 pm

I just made the first significant step to fly a pressure transducer for collecting in-flight motor performance data!

I have a Statham 0-2500 psi transducer and an RDAS altimeter. The RDAS works like a Dataq unit and it will record 0-5V inputs and plot the data with the typical accelerometer and barometric data.

As a bit of a sneak peek, here's the first signs of life for this project:

image.png

It's not much...all it shows is the 7 times I shorted the calibration leads on my transducer we. Doing so outputs 3.95V.

More to come!
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3

dixontj

Re: Flying a Pressure Transducer!

Postby dixontj » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:58 am

Should be an interesting project!

patelldp

Re: Flying a Pressure Transducer!

Postby patelldp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:22 am

Purchased 4 of these adapter fittings to transform my 1/4 FFL transducer to a 1/4" NPT without the need to use any tubing. This will allow me to attach it directly to a bulkhead for the most strength and least length.

The motor for this project will be a 76-1G. The bulkhead will have the central hole for the transducer and two blind threaded holes for all thread. The all thread will help support the transducer but also permit the mounting of all necessary electronics above the transducer. The electronics will be the data collecting RDAS Compact, a voltage converter to increase a 9V to a 28V output for the transducer, and a 9V for the RDAS. Everything will be armed via twist wires.

Should be fun!
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3

Return to “Research Rocket Motors”