3.72" Proteus Downscale

Document your build here! Big or small, simple or complex.
patelldp

Re: 3.72" Proteus Downscale

Postby patelldp » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:09 am

Here's where this project stands:

image.jpg

The next step is to cut bulkheads for the altimeter bay coupler and the nosecone shoulder.

Launch season is approaching...I'll need to make a motor case and some propellant for this thing, too!
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3

patelldp

Postby patelldp » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:39 pm

...progress?

Bulkheads! 0.25" thick G10 ones! Heavy and overkill, but on hand and machinable.

image.jpg

Fit nicely in my coupler:

image.jpg

I also cut one for my nose cone, not exciting enough to show.

This rocket is slated to fly at the April URRG launch on a 76/4700 red. I'll need to run some rough sims, but a 14,000' flight seems possible. Should be fun!
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3

patelldp

Postby patelldp » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:48 am

Continuing on with ththe nose cone. I said it wasn't interestning, but here is the nose bulkhead anyways! I drilled a small vent hole in it, just in case.

image.jpeg

Next, I prepped the BH and coupler by sanding and wiping with alcohol. Since I wanted the BH to be recessed for more space, I sourced a 3.5" piece of 54mm coupler tubing from my pile of short tubes. The BH is placed on this spacer in preparation for the cone to be slipped over it.

image.jpeg

A bead of RocketPoxy was applied inside the cone, just shy of its final resting place so that it will form a fillet.

image.jpeg

I then slip the cone down onto the BH/Spacer assembly described before until the coupler is flat on the bench. Taking a peek through where the nose tip is installed shows the bead of epoxy around the bulkhead. Surprised my iPhone could get this shot!

image.jpeg

With the cone bulkhead drying, I shifted my focus back to the altimeter bay for a bit. The sled was cut from some hobby shop 1/8" 3-ply sheet. I need to order some 1/4" ID tubes for the sled guides at a later date.

Here's the sled along with my intended method of deployment control and tracking...an AIM Xtra 2.0. The nice thing about cutting your own couplers is that you can make them as long as you need. In this case, a 9" coupler allows for the entire unit to be contained within the bay while using the long antenna! I'm still deciding if I want to add a second altimeter, and what altimeter that would be if I do.

image.jpeg

More to come!
Dan Patell
TRA 10904 L3

Return to “Build Threads”