Madcow 54mm Tomach

Document your build here! Big or small, simple or complex.
DBMcCann

Madcow 54mm Tomach

Postby DBMcCann » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:32 pm

It has arrived. :) let the plotting begin. 1/8" fins look thick at this size. I'm feeling more comfortable about no T2T.

Loki 54/1600 for scale.

I wasn't going to start this until the Villain was done....but I'm in the process of painting and it's driving me insane. Time to walk away and clear my head with something else.

Really basic and slow right now, but I took a sharpie and marked the fin locations. Also transferred marks to the NC and Av-Bay coulpers. Once this gets going I think it's going to be a fast build.

ImageImage

I roughed up the booster where the fins will mount with some 100 grit sandpaper.

The edges of the fins have been knocked off a bit. Nothing drastic, and I doubt it'll help drag much, but it's visually more pleasing than square edges. I may even these up a bit more, maybe not.

It's one of those things that would be nice to have done, but I'd rather do than pay more for.

I got bored, so I glued a fin on with aeropoxy ES6209 and read the directions. As near as I can tell, the directions will be great for starting my next BBQ :). If you follow them, I have no idea how you'd wire the payload bay charge....and replacing shock cords would be a nightmare. I'm all for minimal, and I could see if the forward bulkhead was removable and you had to fish it down into the bay.... That'd be a pain in the ass, but at least logical. I plan to get a few more bulkheads to make the av bay, and turn the nose into a tracker bay.

Rotated the rocket, setting fin #2 on top-

And number three.... That estes guide is pretty darn handy....

DBMcCann

Re: Madcow 54mm Tomach

Postby DBMcCann » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:33 pm

[img]Not as clean as I wanted, but I'm sanding them anyways. I always feel better about a rocket once this is done.

Image[/img]

DBMcCann

Postby DBMcCann » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:40 pm

Glued up the bulk plates. I'm changing up the build from the directions here. Instead of glueing the coupler into the payload I intend to make it removable. I'm also going to add a stepped bulkhead to the nosecone. So, I took the coupler bulkhead meant for the nose and am using it in the av-bay.

DBMcCann

Postby DBMcCann » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Looking at the payload.
I can install screws and nuts to attach the payload to the avbay. Or I can glue it in place, and slide the upper bulkhead down the payload. Not like I'm going to be flying this one five times a day.

The screws would be a more flexible situation. glueing would leave a much smoother surface. I'm torn.

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:53 pm

DBMcCann wrote:Looking at the payload.
I can install screws and nuts to attach the payload to the avbay. Or I can glue it in place, and slide the upper bulkhead down the payload. Not like I'm going to be flying this one five times a day.

The screws would be a more flexible situation. glueing would leave a much smoother surface. I'm torn.

Rocket looks good, you can go with plastic rivets.
Alexander Solis

DBMcCann

Postby DBMcCann » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:59 pm

I've got the plastic rivets on most of my other rockets. They work well, but I'm looking for something more streamline here. Leaning toward screws at the moment... Also anything sticking out in a tower is a bad idea :)

dixontj

Postby dixontj » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:04 am

DBMcCann wrote:I've got the plastic rivets on most of my other rockets. They work well, but I'm looking for something more streamline here. Leaning toward screws at the moment... Also anything sticking out in a tower is a bad idea :)

You can still do a tower with screws if you align the screws with the fins.

DBMcCann

Postby DBMcCann » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:41 pm

You are way smarter than I am. :)

planning flathead screws countersunk at the moment, but putting them inline is a very good idea.

DBMcCann

Postby DBMcCann » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Did the payload with some countersunk screws...

mmmmm. 54/2550. How much space does that leave you ask?

Enough.

dixontj

Postby dixontj » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:21 pm

Return to “Build Threads”