My 2016 projects

Document your build here! Big or small, simple or complex.
tfish

Re: My 2016 projects

Postby tfish » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:04 am

I've been talking with Jim Jarvis about his high altitude deployment devices http://www.rocketryfiles.com/files/Tech ... t_2013.pdf
I made one of his latest devices and was amazed at how violent it was. I've been playing around with trying to soften the reaction and still consume 100% of the BP. Below is what I have come up with.
I've been testing them inside a vacuum chamber at 27.5 hg, soaked for three minutes at altitude, inside a simulated airframe, with shear pins and a 27oz piston. 100% of the BP is consumed and the deployment charges reaction has been greatly reduced. Today I used them in some ground testing in the above rocket. My Apogee bay is 3" x 4.75" long. A 0.5g charge sent my nose cone flying about 3.5 feet into my moving blanket back stop. I was very surprised that it took so little BP to separate. Normally I would be using about 1+ to 1.5g. 100% of the BP was consumed.

A couple of notes: The dog barf is just lightly packed to hold the BP in Place and act as a shock absorber. The top of the charge does not need to be sealed. The electrical tape is there to hold the match wire in place and to keep the lightly packed dog barf from coming out. The match is placed in the top of the BP charge. I figured instead of lighting (blowing it up and out) from the bottom, to light it at the top and any thing exiting will have to pass through that fire ball in order to exit the tube (100% consumed?).

Info only...always test before flying!

Tony

tfish

Re: My 2016 projects

Postby tfish » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:59 pm

I cut down a damaged 3" case to a tad under 26" to use for a TRA Research record attempt. I had a few dinged up parts and enough stuff laying around and came up with the following...

nothing real special just your basic compact 3" min dia rocket 48" long, single deployment, home made 60" chute at apogee. Motor looks like a baby M @ 5139 n/S 4 sec burn M1284.

Tony

Return to “Build Threads”